Earlier today, a client sent me an email.
“Google my name. The result is all screwed up. What gives?”
So, I did! And, just like he said… the title was totally wrong and the following text showed instead of my custom description:
Here’s what I did:
- Tried uploading a new robots.txt; refreshed my browser; it still showed the wrong content
- Called my web host’s tech support line and learned it was a WordPress issue
- Messed around with my .htaccess file
- Googled up, down and all around
What actually fixed it:
- Logged into my wp-admin
- Went to Settings, then Privacy
- Saw that “Ask search engines not to index this site.” was set to ON.
- OOPSIE! “Allow search engines to index this site.” Click and Save.
I re-Googled my client’s name a few days later, and *whew!* everything was as it should be.