We all know 8 hours of sleep is important. But do we know why?
I did so much research while producing this track that I decided I shouldn’t keep all the info to myself. So, I’ve begun this video with a short educational segment to show you why “everybody needs 8 hours of sleep” isn’t an urban legend. In fact, it’s critical to your long-term health and well-being!
In the first few minutes, you’ll learn:
- What does your brain do over the course of 8 hours?
- Why is 8 hours of sleep so much better than 7 hours?
- When does your brain release the most growth hormone?
- What are sleep spindles, and how do they help with learning?
- How does sleep help us unlock creativity?
- Why do we dream?
- What happens if we don’t dream enough?
- What happens during all the different sleep stages?
- Do we sleep better or worse as we get older?
After that, this video features a super-customized binaural beat track designed to be the ultimate sleep, helping adults enjoy the deep restorative rest they used to get when they were children.
As far as I know, this is a YouTube first… I looked at all the top 8-hour sleep tracks and none of them came close to following the natural human sleep pattern.
** WARNING!! **
** WARNING!! **
** WARNING!! **
(I’m not just saying “warning” to trick you into trying this.) 🙂
There are two reasons I avoided making this track for so long…
1) Human sleep cycles are usually 90 minutes long. Usually. Not always. In sleep studies, cycles have been as short as 70 minutes, and as long as 110. If your brain wants sleep cycles that are 110 minutes long, but is being forced into 90-minute cycles… well? There isn’t any research to show what might happen.
2) In my personal opinion, people shouldn’t really use binaural beats for more than 90 minutes. After that, I think it’s important to let your brain relax and do its own thing. This is why my other sleep tracks max out at 90 minutes.
With that said, this track is EXPERIMENTAL! By using it, you are a willing test subject, doing a great service to the Youtube universe. 🙂
Be sure to share your experience! With enough collected experiences, maybe we can all learn something new.
This is the only track I haven’t fully tested on myself — because I have yet to find a set of headphones that are worthy of wearing for 8 straight hours. 🙂
“Principles of Neural Science” by Kandel, Schwartz, and Jessell: https://amzn.to/2H0oDt2
“Sleep Mechanisms and Functions in Humans and Animals: An Evolutionary Perspective” https://amzn.to/2Y6URbL
“Why We Sleep” by Matthew Walker: https://amzn.to/2H0oupu
Some stock images Created by Freepik and Vecteezy.com
“animal-close-up-donkey-70369” obtained from … somewhere?! (Sorry)
I’m not a doctor, just a nerd who loves meditation and experimenting with new things. I test every binaural beat track on myself and make sure I’m happy with the result before I make it public. Ultimately, every person is going to have their own unique experience. Using this track is done at your own risk — if you start to experience any negative effects, STOP using it!
Medicine, sleep, and neural science are ever-changing and constantly open to re-interpretation. What’s confirmed “absolute scientific truth” today can easily be marked as “scientifically disproved” tomorrow. My research team and I have done our very best to find and verify the most accurate, objective (and recent) information available, but new discoveries can render the information in this video obsolete at any time. I always encourage my viewers to be skeptical of anything they see on the internet, and to get their facts from multiple sources.